We all want to help make the world a cleaner place. And with the abundance of media coverage on healthy and environmentally-friendly living, there are many ways we can choose to do so. TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® offers tips and solutions to make your new home a greener place to be:
- Recycle your trash and moving boxes.Recycling is an important part to integrate into your new home. Use a separate trash bag for all of your recycled goods, and reuse whenever possible. You can use your moving boxes for a lot of different kids’ crafts, too!
- Install low-flow sinks and shower heads.One of the biggest culprits of household water waste is shower heads and sinks. The average person uses 17 gallons of water per shower! You can reduce your water consumption by installing low-flow faucets and shower heads, which will also cut back on your bills.
- Update your home’s insulation.Many homes lose a lot of energy efficiency with poor insulation. Even if you can’t afford to completely re-insulate your home’s interior, look for thermal window treatments for your new home’s decor.
- Donate used items to charity.When you’re moving out, it can be tempting (and seemingly easier) to dump all your used or outdated items in the trash. But many of those items could be reused or recycled by someone else. Donate your old clothes and household items, and replace them with eco-friendly alternatives.
- Purchase greener household cleaning products.When it’s time to move into your new home, you can start out right by purchasing natural and chemical-free cleaning supplies. Many brands now use natural alternatives to harsh chemical cleaners, some even using organic plant ingredients in their formulas. If you want to go old-school, just use baking soda and lemon juice – it’s a cure all for most cleaning solutions.
Looking for more move-in inspiration? Check out some of our other blogs, or visit the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® Pinterest page.