It’s MOVING DAY!!! You have so much stuff to do before the movers arrive. Hopefully, you have packed some stuff already and got rid of things you won’t be moving, donated your old TV stand and threw away broken dishes. Hopefully, your movers are confirmed and ready to go! (We usually call our customers the day before and make sure everything is still “on”.) Now, just breathe.
To reduce the tress of relocation we collected a list of tips, some of them are from the TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® movers and some from ordinary people who have moved themselves before. This will save you time and money it costs to move. Just go through and see if you forgot anything.
- Put your pets away and get kids occupied. Movers will be carrying heavy furniture and walk with boxes back and forth, so keep your pets safe and out of the way. Moving with children is a whole other talk and we covered it in our previous blog, so make sure to check it out.
- Unplug your electric devices, disconnect cables, roll them up, and label them. Saves you trouble of re-connecting it later. Some people even advise to take a picture of how the cables are connected. Small kitchen equipment can go back into their original boxes if you still have them.
- Clean out the appliances that you will be taking, like a fridge, washer and dryer. They require extra care during the move. We will cover it in our upcoming blog.
- Clear out furniture. We usually say you can leave your clothes in the dresser, because our men will wrap it and load it on the truck. However, if you have furniture going on the truck, make sure there’s nothing on top of it and nothing blocks it, like a pile of laundry or kids toys.
- Separate your most important paperwork, passports, birth certificates, etc. from the rest of the stuff. Even though we provide insurance for accidental damages, it’s just another precaution to keep them separately and not load it inside of the boxes, maybe even transport them yourself.
- Take apart antique furniture that is especially valuable to you. The movers can take it apart if you need them to, however, you only know how much that piece is really worth. Movers will certainly wrap it into the blankets and stretch wrap and handle it with utmost care.
- Separate hazardous and flammable items (gasoline, household cleaners, propane tanks) and other items like liquor and medicine. We will NOT be able to transport those items on the truck, so please remember to make other arrangements. The same goes to motorcycles and garden equipment like lawnmowers. Make sure discuss it ahead of time when you contact us to book a move.
- Pack things as much as you can before the movers arrive to save valuable time. Just make sure to use sturdy moving boxes, bubble wrap or special packing paper, and double or triple tape the boxes.
- Label boxes for easier delivery, especially if you pack yourself. The movers will know how to load the boxes more efficiently and then once at the new place, they will carry the boxes to the right room. It will definitely save you the confusion when you unpack at your new home.
Comment below if you have your own moving tips. To book a move, please give us a call at 850.785.2222.